Hello there beautiful Desi Brides!
So as you know I had a Yuko done on Saturday in London and I have had a lot of questions from fellow Desi Brides on what this actually is and more importantly – does it even work? The short answer to this is YES!
So onto the nitty gritty details. My hair is curly, uber curly. It’s so damn curly that I was nick named Jackson 5 when I was a little girl because I had such big curly hair. It was OUT OF CONTROL.
You get my drift yeah? Its stupidly curly.
Like any typical child and teenager I hated my curly locks. I use to look at other girls with their straight slick back ponytails and feel jealous with envy. Remember this was a time when GHD’s were non existent and all I ever wanted was silky straight hair, just like those pretty ladies on the Dabur Amla adverts. My mum use to say that I would never have straight hair unless I shaved it off completely (we all know that’s a massive myth) and when I turned 16 I took matters into my own hands and got it chemically straightened.
Don’t get me wrong chemically straightening was all well and good but it never lasted and all it did was take the curl out of my hair. After a few months I was back to square one with the frizz and uncontrollable curls. Not to mention the damage it was having on my hair. Once it did go back to normal, it use to take me at least 45 minutes to just straighten, it was ridiculous! And even after that it would never be straight permanently!
Then when I went travelling to Australia 10 years ago and my life changed (ok a tad dramatic but It did change for my hair) and I discovered Yuko! I couldn’t believe the results. I had silky straight hair and it stayed straight after I washed it and it would only really grow out after 5-6 months and this was at the roots only.
So what is it? Essentially Yuko is a Japanese hair straightening system and no matter how curly your hair is, it will get it straight and the best bit is, it doesn’t damage you hair. In fact I have found after my Yuko I stop straightening my hair because I don’t need to, and my hair grows more because I think my straightening slows down the growth. I have also had the Brazillian blow dry and I would not recommend it. I spent around £150 and my hair went back to its curly ways after 3 weeks, and then complained to the salon and they offered to do another one free of charge as it should have at least lasted for 2-3 months. Same thing happened after 2-3 weeks. I was so annoyed and fuming!
So on Saturday I had a Yuko done at the Hiro-Miyoshi-Hair Salon in Mayfair and they do a three step process. They first put on a solution onto your hair, leave it for 30 minutes or so and then rinse. Once this is done they then straighten your hair for about an hour and half to get it really straight and then they leave on another solution for about 40 minutes and then they rinse. Voila! Sleekly smooth hair – finally!
So in a nutshell I have listed what I think you need to know below:
- Its amazing! You can have poker straight hair and it will last. However it is all dependent on your roots which determines how long it was last but my last Yuko I got done was last year in November but I think I could have done with one perhaps over this summer. Therefore I think twice a year would be optimum for me.
- My Yuko was £350 and I know that sounds a lot but I only had it done once this year. The time, effort and damage it saves, every penny is worth it. The stylist will measure your hair to give you an accurate price
- You will have really flat hair for the first 2-3 weeks and it will look weird but after that it gains the volume back and you are still left with super straight hair
- You can’t wash or bend it in the first 24 hours so you have to be very careful when your sleeping on it etc
- The salon where I get it done I would highly recommend as they are experts in Yuko and you can check them out here
So all in all I am a great advocate of Yuko and I think it is DEFINITELY 100% one of the best products on the market for really curly hair. Yes it is pricey but I do feel its worth it all for the super straight healthy hair you get in return.
The Results…(Apologies for the bad pics)